Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vermont Oatmeal Bread (aka: the best toast bread)





I have a thing for bread.  I know, I know.  It isn't that great for you....but listen, my friends, moderation.  And running, lots and lots of running.

And, not just bread, but toast. I love toast!  In fact, when I was pregnant with my 2nd child (a little dude called Camden), I ate toast a lot.  Toast with peanut butter and honey on top.  I also threw up a lot of toast, and never gained weight.  I totally should have eaten more!

This bread is fantastic toasted (with peanut butter and honey, or so I hear).  My littles loved this toasted, not toasted, in any form.

Vermont Oatmeal Bread
*recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
  • 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 1 c. oats (any kind)
  • 1/2 c. maple sugar or brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 T. honey
  • 4 T. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 T. instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 4 c. unbleached flour
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oats, maple/brown sugar, honey, butter, salt and cinnamon.  Let cool to luke warm.  (I add it all to my mixing bowl.)
  2. Once it is luke warm, add the yeast and flours, stirring to form a rough dough.  Knead (about 10 minutes by hand, 5 to 7 minutes by machine) until the dough is smooth and satiny.  (If dough is really sticky, add a tiny bit more flour, if it is too dry, add a tiny bit more water.)
  3. Transfer the dough to a large bowl, sprayed with non-stick spray, and cover with plastic wrap, also sprayed with non-stick spray.  Let rise for 1 hour; it should double in bulk.
  4. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a loaf.  Place the loaves in two greased bread pans.  Cover the pans with lightly sprayed plastic wrap and allow them to rise until they've come up about 1 inch over the rim of the pan.  (1 to 1 1/2 hours.)
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bake the loaves for 35 to 40 minutes.  Remove them from the oven when they are golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I love bread too. But I do not love running.

    ReplyDelete